Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
NOTE: BECAUSE I AM A STUPID ASS, I SCREWED AROUND WITH OUR FILES AND MOST OF THEM GOT DELETED. THIS IS THE FOLDER WHERE I WILL BE STORING THE MUSIC FILES. EVERYTHING IN THIS FORUM UP TO "Hot Sun, Cool Shade" WILL HAVE BROKEN LINKS. I'LL FIX THESE EVENTUALLY BUT FOR NOW YOU'LL HAVE TO GO INTO THIS FOLDER IF YOU WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING!

Serenity.mp3

Ben/Genga:
Since I'm the only composer, I suppose this page is mainly for me (and Droory to download the files), but I'm open to suggestions and anything you guys might have to offer in terms of the music! Also, feel free to critique anything I post here (in fact, I encourage you to do so).
I'd assume it goes without saying, but if you're wondering about the abrupt endings on some of the pieces I post, it's so that the loop back to the beginning happens instantly.

Anywho, first piece is up; might make the flute melody longer so it doesn't loop so much.

Droory:
Not bad, kid, not bad at all.

Re: Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
Woo, progress! Second piece is done! I don't know what Nabble's file size limit is, but apparently this music file is too big... I mean, I did use some pretty good piano sounds but it looks like I'm just going to upload everything to google drive from now on. I'm probably the only audiophile here, so you guys can put up with mp3s so I can save space (and save the wav files for the soundtrack release :3)

Melody at Dusk ~piano~.mp3

Anyway, I'm not sure when exactly this can play. It seems like it could be bgm, but I kind of heard it as title screen music (especially since the fast section in the middle is probably too intense for simple bgm). Not a huge deal, just something to think about for later. Oh, and I'll probably make a version of it later for piano and cello (hence the "~piano~").

Re: Music

LuxraysGoneAwry
Can't believe I didn't see this before (probably because my tabs have been on the character thread and the coding thingamabob) but I'm listening to it right now and I definitely agree that it could be title music.

But I could also see it as like... one of those melancholy themes that play when the girl is crying or something dramatically sad happens. At least, the beginning of the piece sounds like that. Then the middle, super intense, part kicks in though and it makes me question it.

I think maybe if we added in some more instruments to it like at least a flute or brass, that could make a super kickass title theme. I like that after the intense part it goes back to the melancholy, makes you feel all warm inside :3

Re: Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
Hmm, I don't really get the melancholy vibe from it but I've also listened to it too many times to count so maybe I'm just too desensitized to the emotional impact from the first listen. Not sure about winds or brass, but I can definitely imagine it with strings (specifically cello, like I said).

Anyway, third piece is...kind of finished. This one definitely needs some work but I think it should work for generic, upbeat BGM.

Let's Play!.mp3

Also gonna stick a reminder here for myself (and Droory will need to know for coding too). Most of the pieces aren't going to loop perfectly at the beginning and end. The way they work is that there's an intro that could last anywhere from half a second to something like twenty seconds, and then it reaches the point that loops with the end. When we actually get to coding, I'll have to make an intro file and looping file so that we can place them back to back in the script. If all goes well, the intro should lead straight into the looping file without stopping and then we can just program the looping one to loop until the next music needs to play.

Re: Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
Not sure if this one is exactly how I want it to sound but it's supposed to be kind of slow and lyrical. Jenny, let me know if you've got any thoughts on this since it's potentially Luci's theme (there'll probably be an upbeat version too, but right now this is the only version I have).

Silken Wings.mp3

Re: Music

LuxraysGoneAwry
Overall I like it. It's sweet and simple and seems to fit Luci's character almost perfectly.

There's just... you might already know what sections I'm talking about lol. Where the E and A chords are together. It almost sounds a little eerie and not right for the rest of the song, but then closer to the end they switch around (one series of notes is louder than the other again, just in reverse), and it kind of almost fits.

That's my only complaint(?), and otherwise it kinda felt like a lullaby.

Re: Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
Ashe's theme. Like Luci's, there'll be a more upbeat version at some point, but for now this is the only one I have. I'm not sure why, but I kept thinking that when it came to Ashe's theme there should be some semi-asiatic themes, so the erhu's prominence and pentatonic sections are sort of reflective of that (I suspect only Jenjen will understand what that means lol).

The title in English is "Heart of the Forest". Also, ignore the weird last notes; they're only there because I had to cut the looping section somewhere but the instruments don't all end together.

森の心.mp3

Re: Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
I keep thinking it's been a long time since I've made any music, but it's probably because I don't want to post most of these things on my Soundcloud and whatever until the whole soundtrack is finished. This is probably going to be Shida's theme (the song's name is in reference to her sunglasses). Give me your thoughts on the last section, because I'm not sure if I should elaborate more on it or just leave it as is.

Feline.mp3

Re: Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
Very short piece. It's only a little longer than a minute before it repeats. I may or may not come back to it; I really don't know if it needs a longer, less repetitive version. The title translates to "Starry Sky".

ホシゾラ.mp3

Re: Music

GengaJupite
Administrator
Fun, upbeat piece with a jazzy midsection I made on a whim. I dunno, the melody popped into my head and then the rest of the piece kinda made itself all in one sitting. Have a listen; other than a couple spots that could potentially be lengthened I'm really, really happy with how this one turned out.

Hot Sun, Cool Shade.mp3