General Discussions

12

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #12

Jenjen was late, kin was on excused leave, tem is still MIA, GSG is still dead, and it is all still the steve's fault.

We actually got a surprising amount accomplished, though most of it is route-specific. Still, I'll post it on here with updated files and whatnot.

Droory and I more or less figured out all the details for Ashe's scenes except for the final one. Still need to think about Day Six, but if nothing else you can always go with the lazy solution of just having the same scene that'll play out on Day Seven (since you can't see both during the same playthrough).

Jenjen has ideas for Luci's Day Six and Seven scenes (singing and sculpting respectively), so I'll leave those to her. Also, inserting a menu on Day Four/Five when going to the lake for whether to take a picture of the butterfly on the water or save it first will alter the relationship between for Luci and Leo for the remainder of Part One (possibly Part Two? Up to you to decide, jenjen); she'll either be kind of standoffish/apprehensive (how she is with all humans) or be infatuated with him (while still retaining a slight apprehensive side to her). As long as you're okay with writing two versions of every situation I think it's a cool idea.

We still haven't figured out much of the details for the in-between segments, so we should probably get that figured out for next meeting, as well as also going over some stuff with kin since she wasn't here this time around. For the most part, we'll just be asking about what sorts of things should be talked about in the Syrene scenes since pretty much all of them in Part One are one of the other girls talking about Syrene in her place. We can get input from everyone for the in-between segments, though jenjen and I have yet to figure out how to split up the writing.

In case you haven't, download your girl's consideration list in the post above (and the other girls if you feel like you'll need to know some details for them as well) and have a look over it. The most important point in all of them is the possibility of having a late encounter with her, leading to alternate versions of the same scene based on whether or not Leo has actually met that girl face to face. Other than that, I don't have any real assignments for next meeting unless you want to try writing the first scene where they come face to face with each other. Mine are Day Five (Mara) and Day Six (Rena), Droory's is Day Five, Jenjen's is Day Six, and Kin's is the final scene in Part One.

Updated files:
Cosmos Part 1 Scenario

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #13

Jenjen was *gasp* on time, but kin still beat her. We talked about poo. Tem has officially resigned from her post as writer. Her spirit will live on as a profile on this forum.

Most of the time was spent figuring stuff out for Syrene's route. On Day Six, if Luci lies about singing and says it was Syrene, Leo will ask where she is if she was just here. They'll then talk a bit about Syrene while remaining pretty vague, and Leo can even think that Luci was lying, but it will still give a point for Syrene. On Day Seven, he meets Mara on the bridge, and she will tease the fact that there's a mermaid living in this lake and that she was washed inland by a tsunami years ago. Since the Day Six and Seven scenes can't both be viewed in one playthrough, some of the stuff said in both can be the same. Leo won't really believe Mara, though he might play along anyway.
On Day Eleven, he returns the barrette he found on Day Ten to Luci and finds out that it isn't hers. When asking about whom it belongs to and why he would give it to Luci when it isn't hers, she says something about it being the owner's last treasure from the home she can't return to. If Leo saw the Day Six or Seven Syrene scene, he can ponder if it's the same girl/mermaid that Luci/Mara mentioned, but then shake his head and not believe it or something.
The final scene is still getting figured out a bit, but right now the idea is that he goes out to the lake, hears her singing, and actually sees Syrene in the water. Instead of hiding like she normally would, she'll talk to him and thank her for finding her barrette, at which point he'll realize that this is the girl Luci (and possibly Mara) had mentioned before. She'll reveal what she is, and if she saved him on Day Five, she'll also mention that.

Jenjen said she would talk to her artist friend about whether she would rather do characters or backgrounds. She can do both – I don't care either way – but I don't want one person to be doing too much work (unless it's me because I've already taken on 43748534985739475 roles for this project).

We're basically done all the planning, so there is actual work to be done before the next meeting, which has been changed from August 2 to August 9! The homework is to write a draft of the first face-to-face scene between Leo and your girl. If you can't remember what scene that is, look in the last paragraph of the post above and then find that in the Part One Scenario so you know what the context of the situation is. The draft doesn't have to be an entirely finished scene, but I do want there to be enough so that we can edit to fit the in between segments or vice-versa. There WILL be edits, so don't be offended when we start changing some things.

Updated files:
Cosmos Part 1 Scenario

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Meeting #14

Short, productive meetings have now commenced. All our meetings from here on are basically going to be keeping updated with each other's routes and cross-editing or making pointers and stuff. We still have to do a lot since we're still in Part One, but once it's finished our jobs should get easier.

Jenjen had a couple of questions that are relevant to all of us so I'll answer those ones up here.
The school system is not like a Japanese school system, it's more like school in North America. Leo's school goes from grades nine to twelve and summer break happens at the end of the school year, meaning they start the next grade in the fall.
You guys were concerned about Luci, Syrene, and Ashe being too similar in personality because they're all polite and kind of quiet. Ashe is the only one who is blatantly polite all the time, speaking in a pretty formal manner. Syrene and Luci are polite in more of a "meeting-someone-for-the-first-time" kind of way, where they'll loosen up as they get more familiar with Leo. She's not necessarily quiet, but being as polite as she is kind of makes loud speech rare, as opposed to Syrene and Luci who are quiet because they're shy. Syrene is more standoffish than Ashe and Luci, as Leo is the first human she has ever come into contact with. Luci is more anxious and jumpy than standoffish, so she gets spooked pretty easily but doesn't really have a problem speaking once she's gotten to know someone.

We sent each other our first scenes with Leo and the girl you're writing for. Here are the unedited files:
Ashe Scene
Luci Scene
Mara Scenes
Rena Scene
Syrene Scene

I'll try to summarize all the things we said to each other, but I'll probably miss out on a few of the things we mentioned.

Ashe

Needs to be edited so that the style matches closer to what Jenjen and I have.
Comma splices have to be taken care of.
Leo is supposed to figure out that the big tree is the rumored spirit tree, meaning that some of the early dialogue bits between him and Ashe can't happen the way they do.
Make the walk through the forest seem longer, either by dialogue or simply saying that they've been walking for a while. It'll help make Ashe's collapsing seem more realistic.
Don't mention that the fox that appears at the end is Rena. Will screw up some future scenes with her.

Luci

Make sure there's alternate dialogue in case Leo isn't in the choir club. This scene works fine if he is in it, but it's clearly geared towards him having chosen the choir club than any of the other ones.
Make sure to keep all tenses in present unless you're referring to something that happened significantly earlier (or if he says something like "I [verb]-ed a couple minutes ago").

Mara

Was she bitchy enough? I didn't get much feedback on Mara's.

Rena

Possibly extend their conversation while they're walking to include some of the mundane things Rena asks him about.
Fix up the end so it doesn't seem so sudden, or make Leo less nervous about asking for her number.

Syrene

Fill in the starred parts with actual narration.
Finish the scene.
Make sure you have extra/alternate dialogue for if she saved him on day five.
Extend Leo's shock for a bit. He seems to accept her as a mermaid rather quickly, which is fine after all the stuff he's seen, but it did seem a little too quick in this.

By now you've all had the chance to read through all the scenes, and the narration style we're going for is what Jenjen and I have. If need be, we can tweak so that we can all reach some kind of mutual style, but it seems that the easiest thing to do would be to start off with a style we can all write in (I say that because she and I have a fairly easy style to pick up on and because we're doing all the in-between parts) and then you can start branching off into your own once we get into Part Two.

NEXT MEETING you'll need to revise the scene you wrote with all of the tips we had for each other. And because I didn't really mention it before, these scenes CAN be long. We aren't writing little test dialogues and practice segments anymore; these are the drafts of what will eventually be put into the finished product. Some of the earlier scenes can be shorter, but they should ideally get longer as he gets to know the girl better.

Also, Jenjen said she was going to talk to her friend tonight about doing art stuff. Whether she wants to do characters, backgrounds, or both is up to her, as long as she's okay with it.
Here's a link to the reference pictures I took for backgrounds. Don't judge my lack of photography skills (or do, I don't care).

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #15

Not nearly as productive as last meeting, but for the most part we were just doing touchups. Jenjen's friend is also cool with doing the backgrounds and possibly some event CGs so she can work on her anime character style. I'll get Jenjen to add her to the forum next time and maybe skype too, though she won't have to be there for most of the meetings.

Updated files with some editing:
Ashe Scene
Luci Scene
Mara Scenes
Rena Scene
Syrene Scene

Ashe

Jenjen has supposedly fixed everything but I have yet to read her edited version. Droofy, seriously watch the comma splices. Style-matching is easy, fixing comma splices is just tedious.

Luci

No club activities on Day 6, so it will be daytime when he heads home.
If you can, fix up the formatting so it's easier for us to follow. Otherwise it's solid.

Mara

Seems all good, check for little mistakes.

Rena

Seems all good, check for little mistakes.

Syrene

Finish up the scene and watch tenses. Also take out the direct "Disney" mention. Indirect references are fine as long as it isn't specified.
Sub Mara in for Luci or change the dialogue to match Luci's character.

Next meeting we're going to be writing the second possible scene between Leo and the girl. The scenes are as follows:
Ashe on Day 6. Droory and I will have to collaborate because Rena is in the scene at the beginning. She leads him to the tree and find Ashe there (or she won't be there, in which case the scene will turn into the first Rena scene). Leo wants to thank Ashe for her assistance the other night (the only way he can see Ashe is if he met her or fox Rena last night).
Luci on Day 7. Leo runs into her in the residential district if he is in an art club (Jenjen had some idea for an artsy thing). She is still kind of hidden, but he can get a better look at her this time if need be.
Mara on Day 7. It's actually a Syrene scene, so I'll need to collaborate with Kin. Mara will be at the lake and will talk about the mermaid that was washed inland by the tsunami. Leo will be skeptical. Also a possibility for a Mara point but I haven't decided how that will be achieved.
Rena on Day 10. She actually has scenes before this, but they're always in her fox form, meaning she won't talk. Leo saves her on Day 9 and Day 10 is the reveal. It'll be a long scene.
Syrene in Part Two. Kin can get a head start on part two, but don't get too carried away with it. I'd like to keep us all on a similar page.

Now, the trickiest part of writing most of these scenes now is that it's possible that Leo did not meet the girl in the scene before, as he could have met a different girl entirely (Droory, you're okay because he can only meet Ashe on Day 6 if he met her on Day 5, though if Leo got Rena's point on Day 5, then he'll only have met her for a couple minutes, possibly not even getting her name). Taking that into consideration, you're basically going to need two streams of dialogue, possibly with the names even being unrevealed until they introduce themselves. At the same time, if they have met each other, that will obviously make the dialogue differ, as they can't just talk about stuff that they may have already said in their first meeting. Remember, keep the Part One scenario file open while writing so that you can always look at it for reference and context.
Because Jenjen's pseudocoding is probably the most difficult to follow out of all of ours, I'll post a picture here in the hopes that it'll help you understand "if statements".

It's just the script, so you can find that in the other thread, but basically you just say "if [flag]" and add some indented dialogue to it. That way, if the flag isn't true, it'll just skip over that indented segment of dialogue and keep going. You can write as many lines under that if statement as you want as long as those lines are all indented. Those are the basics of it, and if you can use that properly, then Droory and I can probably figure out what you're trying to do more easily than if you pseudocode it in a hard-to-read way.

That's it. Next meeting is on September 6th, and that's the last weekend of my summer break, so I suspect that progress on this will be slowed over the following months. Still, we've made decent progress since we didn't really get started until January-Februaryish. Only Droory will understand this, but we've done a ton more than what Salve was able to accomplish for us in a year and a half, so suffice to say I'm happy with how we've been working.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Meeting #16

No kin today, so sad. Jenjen did not go off on a million tangents like she tends to and we got work done because of it.

To start off, we have two artists now! Jenjen's friend is doing backgrounds and maybe some of the event CGs, and our character artist is MinuteKiwi. MK hasn't registered to the forum yet, but once I get in contact with her again it should be all good.

Second Encounter Scenes (I edited droofy's a little, but not the version jenjen fixed up):
Ashe Second Scene
Luci Second Scene
Mara Second Scene
Rena Second Scene

Syrene doesn't have a second scene, but the first one has been updated:
Syrene First Scene

Ashe

Content-wise, everything is fine and there is definitely enough that it doesn't need to be expanded.
Include an if statement in the middle since it's possible she didn't walk out of the forest with him (in Rena's Day 5 scene, he meets Ashe but she gives him bad directions, so he leaves on his own).
Watch the "gonna" and "wanna" type contractions. They're acceptable in dialogue (personally I don't like them), but leave them out of narration.
Comma usage. Splices were less prominent, probably because you were missing so many.
Don't include the ambulance thing at the end

Luci

The vibe is good, but the dialogue makes them seem close, which it shouldn't because they've only met each other once at most.
The line about "the person sitting next to you" is a bit confusing and gives off the wrong idea (MPD).
Leo becomes suspicious of Luci very abruptly. Remember, he doesn't believe in supernatural stuff.
Shida's field of study isn't specified until Part Two; Leo only knows that she's here for research, but doesn't know what for.
Finish the scene for if they've never met before.

Mara

Mara is best girl and all of her scenes have been perfect and need no changes. *Testimonials by Droory and Jenjen*

Rena

Spontaneous running at the end is bad. Change it so that he doesn't just ditch her for no real reason.

Syrene

It seems a tad short but otherwise has all the important bits it needs.

I was going to post it under Syrene's notes since it explicitly came up there, but it's something we should go over. What currency do you guys want to use? Kin wrote that Leo had some yen in his pocket, and while that's perfectly fine, Turena doesn't have a specific location on Earth. So what do you guys think: Yen? Dollars? Bitcoins? Gold? Gil? Currency of the Benevolent Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un? IOUs?

Next meeting will be, as expected, writing the next scene (though if you need to make a lot of changes for your current scene, that's okay too).
Ashe on Day 7. This is the one where we said she would be sleeping and Leo would nap with her and kawaii bullshit would happen. You know the one.
Luci on Day 8/9. This is the reveal, the first one where Leo sees someone actually prove that they aren't a human (Ashe can't exactly prove it per se). It takes place at the lake, and if the reveal happens on Day 8, it's after school (we didn't decide if there was club practice but it's still light out) and he decides not to take the lake path home anymore because he's weirded out by her. If it's on Day 9, it's morning and he's cutting class.
Mara on Day 8. After the reveal of either Ashe or Luci, he will run into her in the RD at nighttime (assuming all the conditions to do so have been met). They chat (conversations will differ greatly depending on which girl revealed herself since she was involved in the Ashe scene).
Rena on Day 11. On the way to meet his parents, he searches for her in the forest. If he finds her, he will try to pry answers out of her, but won't get much out of her in the short time he has to do so.
Syrene in Part Two. Again, Kin, you can get a head start if you want to. I don't want you to feel neglected or anything (maybe it'll be a good thing since you're in your last year of undergrad, right?), but I'd rather you just help us out with our scenes by editing and whatnot before moving on to Part Two, as it would be more efficient for all of us to move on at the same time.

Not including all the in-betweens that still have to be written, I've counted out the number of scenes each girl has in part one. Day 12A and 12B signify the middle of the night and the final reveal respectively.
Ashe has five more: Day 7, Day 8/9, Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Luci has four more: Day 8/9, Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Mara has five (4.5*) more: Day 8, Day 9, Day 11, Day 12A*, Day 12B
Rena has two more: Day 11, Day 12B
Syrene doesn't have any more.

Now the reason I'm posting that is because you'll see that Syrene is finished for Part One and Rena is going to be finished next. Ashe actually has quite a bit of exposition to be written for Day 12A, so I'm thinking that Kin could potentially help Droory or Jenjen write their Day 12A scenes. Not that it's something we need to think about right this moment, but I know that once I'm finished writing Rena's scenes, I'm going to try focusing on the in-betweens. Let's try and get our scenes sorted out as quickly as possible and help each other along the way.

One last thing before I wrap this up: pseudocoding. Jenjen was confused by it, and her confusion only served to confuse us as well. I'll do a brief summary that hopefully runs over the important things.

PSEUDOCODE 101

The easiest way to portray pseudocode is to write exactly what you want to happen. Example, if you want a section of dialogue to happen only if something earlier has happened, simply write [if _____ has happened] and then follow it up with the section of dialogue you want indented. This is clear and easy for the programmers (Droory and me) to understand.
"But wait!" you say. "I don't know how to use flags!"
Flags are simple processes. All you have to do is write in at the beginning of your scene "$ [name of the flag] = false" without quotations. Yes, that dollar sign is there on purpose. Then, when you want that flag to be unlocked in your scene, simply write "$ [name of the flag] = true" without quotations at the section of dialogue where it will be unlocked. Again, the dollar sign is there on purpose.
"But what if I don't want to implement a flag? What if I just want to have a certain event happen because a flag has already been triggered/hasn't been triggered?"
Oh, you silly children, I've already taught you how to do so with just these past two points. If a flag happened in a separate scene, do not preface the scene by writing "$ [name of the flag] = false", and instead get right into it. When you come to the event where the flag will determine what happens, simply write "if [name of flag]" followed by your indented dialogue and events. Simple, really!

This link is also posted in the Online Writing Resources thread, but I'm going to post it here as well. It's extremely helpful for writing in little tricks you can do with the text. You've probably seen me use the {w} statement a lot, as it's fairly useful for creating a pause in the script (read up on what it does and you'll see what I mean). This is also how you achieve bold text, italicized text, different sized text, and all sorts of other stuff.

Again, since coding issues seem to be slowing us down a bit, I highly recommend you download the Ren'Py app and play around in it a little bit. I know Droory has it, but that's because he has to do the coding and compiling. Once you've gotten used to how the coding works (and trust me, jenjen and kin, this is as basic as it gets for coding (it's designed for people who don't know coding)), it'll make your writing process so much smoother, especially if you want to express things that you don't really know how to explain in pseudocode.

That's all for now! Next meeting is October 4th, and if I can get a chance to talk to some of the artists, I'll see if we can get some artwork drafts up. I do eventually want to make a public site so that we can advertise, so the sooner we can get some visuals aside from my shitty sketches, the better. See ya next time!

Re: General Discussions

LuxraysGoneAwry
I don't know how I'm still confused by that stupid pseudocode, but I'm just going to wing it, probably just do the [if xx has happened] thing. I don't even know what I'm confused about, lol.

Anyway, I like the yen. It's more or less universal in visual novels, and if you're planning to play one or are playing one, you pretty much expect it, right? Weebs are the demographic, after all!

Oh, and my friend's gonna come over later today about 4:30 so I'm hoping we can do the meeting together (I'll still be there at 4 though, don't worry!).

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Meeting #17

We now have our working team pretty much set up! May hire on a few more artists (for GUI and logos, possibly someone to edit back and forth characters with), but otherwise this is the core of our workforce.

I'll start off by saying that meetings have, for the time being, changed to weekly so that we can test the waters of getting things done more quickly. This will only remain if we can manage to do so without getting too stressed out (I have a hectic schedule already so I'll be seriously considering this for the next 2-3 meetings).
Writer meetings are still going to be on Sundays at 1:00pm PST, and our next one is October 11!
Artist meetings have been set up and are on Thursdays at 5:00pm PST. Our next one is October 8!

We've also now discussed our release schedule, with the first release being the Part One demo by the end of February! Since there aren't a ton of dates to know, I'll simply write it down here and add it to the heading of the whole forum.
Demo of Part One (in VN terms, the Common Route): February 28, 2016
Completed VN: Ideally August 2016, latest August 2017

All of our completed scenes are now here:
Completed scenes
By complete, I just mean that the first draft has been finished but may still need some fixing up (or completing since I know one of my Rena scenes isn't even done). To edit each other's, just switch to suggestion mode in the top right and do your editing like normal.

Ashe

Seemed all good to me in terms of content. I'll do some editing on it just for style-matching purposes.

Luci

Still waiting on the scene. Get it done; it's an important one!

Mara

Again, Droory testifies that there were no issues. I'll probably fix it up a little but put more of my focus into the next scene.

Rena

Kiwi left me with some edits on the googledoc, so I'll be going over those later.

Syrene

Seems fine, may need to do a bit more style-matching. The prose is very novelistic, which is beautiful to read but we need it to be more narrative from Leo's POV.

Next meeting (don't forget that it's the 11th for writers) we need to have the next scenes written. Jenjen, I'll let you get off with not having completed your scene but we really need to start stepping up our work ethic.
Ashe on Day 8/9. This is the reveal scene where Ashe collapses and Leo tries to take her to a hospital.
Luci on Day 8/9. See the notes in the previous meeting's notes.
Mara on Day 9. This is the first guaranteed time when Leo and Mara meet, meaning that they will be familiar with each other for every scene after this. Takes place in the RD while he's cutting class.
Rena on Day 12B. This is the final reveal and the last scene you see before heading onto her route for Part Two.

Since there will only be a few edits for Syrene's scene, it'd be great if there were a way for Kin to help one of us out. That or even simply going through the finished scenes and doing some editing would be great.

I'll again list off the remaining scenes for each girl in Part One.
Ashe: Day 8/9, Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Luci: Day 8/9, Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Mara: Day 9, Day 11, Day 12A*, Day 12B
Rena: Day 12B

Artists, I don't have a particular goal in mind for you since we haven't technically had our first meeting. I know that Kiwi is going to get started on some more sketches for the girls and Aleah is going to start on a background or two (the link to my reference shots is here). Music-wise, I've got a lot on my plate so I don't have a specific goal in mind other than to just get a bunch of pieces out, but I'll have a list ready by the artist meeting.

I don't think I've forgotten anything, but of course I'll edit this post if I think of anything more. See you guys at the next meeting!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #18

Droory and I were the only ones present. Kin was at a wedding so that's understandable. Jenjen, I am disappoint though.

Anyway, since there were only two of us, most of our discussing was route-specific, but I'll go over some of the things that need to be covered.

First, Droory and I both wrote scenes that happen either simultaneously or back to back with each other and noticed that disconnects between each other's scenes are bound to happen. For now, when I'm doing edits, I'm going to ignore these disconnects until they come up in the full script. It's too difficult to try thinking in terms of "if this happened, then this will happen" across multiple scenes. Unless it's in complete contradiction of the events, I'm just going to keep my edits to grammar and prose.

Editable files can be found here. If you are going to edit a google doc, change your mode in the top right from editing to suggesting (this way we can see what it is you're changing without you actually changing it). It's easier this way so that when I stick these scenes into the script, I can make the necessary changes as I go into them and it'll be done really quickly.

I mentioned having one-on-one discussions with everyone, but to be clear this is more so for the writers than the artists. It's mostly for discussing Part Two and to sort of plan out a basic structure for what you want. I'll be adding a file into the link in the paragraph above that roughly outlines some common events that happen across all the routes during Part Two. We won't be getting into discussions about the Human Arc yet, though if you have some ideas about it I'd be glad to hear them. Just as a quick aside, the Human Arc's game timeline shouldn't go beyond New Years, so any endings you want will either need to happen on or before then.

Next writer meeting is on October 18. There are 10 scenes left that need to be written, and I need to talk to Jen about working out the Part One script. I've been working on it but progress has been slow.
Ashe on Day 11. Initially, Leo is looking for Rena but ends up finding Ashe. This is his chance to make up for what happened during her reveal, but he won't have much time to question her since he is going to meet his parents.
Luci on Day 8/9. Jenjen, this is the third time I've written this down. It needs to be written. Get it done.
Mara on Day 11. First she is simply seen laughing at Leo while he's tied up with Shida, then later she accidentally drops her guard around him and shows her tail.

I wouldn't mind Kin helping out Jen at this point, or if you'd prefer you can go through the completed files and do some editing. I still need to talk to you about your plans for Part Two, but seeing as we're close to getting to that point, I don't actually mind if you get a head start on that. Still, our priority is making sure that Part One is completed, so if you think there's anything that you can help on for that, please don't hesitate.

Remaining scenes in Part One.
Ashe: Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Luci: Day 8/9, Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Mara: Day 11, Day 12A*, Day 12B

Once Mara's scenes have been completed, most of my efforts will be put into making music and writing the general scenes in Part One. Make sure you know what you're doing, and if not, ask and I'll find something!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #19

Droory's internet is dead so we still haven't managed to have all of us in a proper meeting yet. There was that one when Kiwi first joined on but we didn't really discuss much from what I remember.

Everyone should have access to the public drive now, though I'm not sure about Droory's accessibility since he's the only one without a gmail account. If for some reason you haven't gone to it, here's the link.
Make sure to check out the character bios doc, as it goes pretty in-depth into what each character is like. I still need to expand on it but for now it should give you a pretty good idea of what everyone's character is.

It may be early for some of you to start thinking about Part Two, but it would be a good idea to start plotting out some basic structure for it so that you can have something to go off of when we actually do start getting into the individual routes. So far, I only have two known common events, but we'll be figuring these out more as we go along.
1) Three-day trip with Yuuji and Ami at the end of July/beginning of August
2) Starfall Ceremony in mid-late August
There'll probably be some rainy days too but we can figure that all out later on.

Since most of us either need to write the same scene listed in the post above or need to extensively edit the version already written, I won't bother mentioning what the next scenes are, though I will list off the remaining scenes in Part One as usual.
Ashe: Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Luci: Day 8/9, Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
Mara: Day 12A*, Day 12B
Assuming I can get my Day 11 scene for Mara fixed up so that it isn't as bad as it is right now, I'll probably be finishing up her Part One scenes within the next couple of weeks, and then my focus will be the in-betweens and misc. events.

Next meeting is November 1, and I expect I will not be in the healthiest of mindsets following Halloween night. See you all then!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #20

So close to having everyone present but Jenjen ruined it for everyone. For shame, jenjen, for shame.

We have a new member on the team, Ed the editor (lol). He'll be going through our scenes and won't be holding anything back while he edits them and makes suggestions. Don't take any of it personally unless he actually insults you as a person; it's all for the benefit of making our VN more professional.

Droory is still in the process of editing scenes, so I won't hound you about getting the next one done. Jenjen, I'm starting to lose my mind here; the Luci scenes need to get written. It's been a month and half since you wrote your previous scene, and that one also needed to get edited. Seriously, if your tablet is causing too many issues, go to the library and use a computer there or something. Whatever it takes, those scenes need to get written, and those edits need to be made!

Remaining scenes in Part One
Ashe: Same as post above
Luci: Same as post above

I'll be editing my scenes on the side, but my main goal now is to get the common scenes written. Originally I was going to co-write it with Jen but she's too behind on her scenes for me to rely on her for that anymore. Kin, I may ask you to step in, not necessarily to co-write, but to figure out how events will play out and what could be tweaked. Of course, Ed and Kiwi will probably help out in that area as well.

Next meeting is November 15. I might end up being busy on both the 22nd and 29th (the two subsequent Sundays), but I'll keep you guys posted about what's going on. We've sort of reached a stage where I don't necessarily have to be at every meeting, since most of the time now we're just going to be sorting out scenes and whatnot. See you next week! That includes you, Jenjen...

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Meeting #23

Wow, we had a good meeting for the first time in a month. Looks like progress is finally getting made again

We now have a common gmail account, so if any of you for whatever reason lose access to your gmail (or don't have one…droory), message me and I'll give you the info. I would post it here but we've had some bots crawl through, so I don't want to trust it with that.
Keep in mind that this is not our team email (the one that people will be able to email us when we eventually have a site and demo out); this is merely something to use in case you need to access the drive and have lost your own for some reason. We'll be making a team name sometime in the near future; I'll bring it up in one of our meetings.

The common scene team has changed up a bit. Kiwi, Droory, and I will be heading those up, at least in terms of discussing how things should go and re-editing each other's parts. I still need to figure out if we should break them up into separate blocks for each scene, like how the girls' scenes are, or if it'll be okay to keep writing it directly into the code. We'll discuss this more throughout the week and/or next meeting.

The girls' scenes are coming along nicely. Ed has been powering through my mediocre writing skillz and provided some good feedback for Syrene and two of Rena's scenes so far. They're mostly clear and simple fixes, so I'll be continuing to prioritize the common scenes before fixing mine up for the better.

Remaining heroine scenes in Part One
Ashe: Day 12A, Day 12B
Luci: Day 7*, Day 11, Day 12A, Day 12B
*Getting re-written

In about two weeks, I should be back with this in full force, music-wise and writing-wise, so bear with me while I get through the final bits of my other VN's demo.

Next meeting is December 13. Make sure you know what needs to get done and do it!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #27

School and work is about to start up for everyone within the next couple of weeks, so let's try to get what we can completed before production inevitably starts to slow down from other obligations.

Our writing process for common scenes is now set. I'll be writing the material we need in a scene in very rough form, and kin will be cleaning it up as I go along. Anyone can feel free to jump in and add to the editing process, especially since my focus is not to write something good, it's just to get the material written. After the cleanup, Ed will step in and do his editing thing.

The heroine scenes are nearing completion, Droory only having one more to go and Jen making slow, steady progress on Day 7 and 11. Once these are done, everyone should be able to lend a hand at the common scenes and if all goes as planned on the art/music and coding sides of things, we'll be able to make the deadline.

Everyone's job for next week should be pretty clear. Now would also be a good time to start thinking about and mapping out how you want your individual route to go, because, unfortunately for you, I don't have the capacity to map them out for you. Keep in mind the common events that happen across all five routes during Part Two. Remember that the goal of Part Two is not only to develop their relationship, but to develop Leo's character, bringing out a side of his personality that either exemplifies the heroine's main personality trait or acts as a foil to it.

We'll be meeting next Sunday, January 10. See you all then!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #29

I'm officially two weeks into school, and Droory goes back sometime soon as well. Not sure about everyone else, but basically we're all going to be busy for the next 3-4 months.

Just over these past two weeks though, I've noticed a significant drop in the amount of time I have to work on this, so I'm feeling a bit skeptical about meeting our proposed deadline. I'll leave it as is for now, so still work to try and make it.

We've set a rough outline for how long each route should be. The common route is going to be about 4 hours long, and the individual routes in Part Two should be about 5-6 hours. The Human Arc should be about 3-5 hours, and here are the calculations for about how many words that will entail.
7k words per 30 mins = 14k words per hour
CR = ~5k words per day x 12 = ~60k words / 14k = ~4.3 hours
P2 = 5-6 hours x 14k words = 70k-84k words per route
HA = 3-5 hours x 14k words = 42k-70k words per route
Length per route including Human Arc = 112k-154k words per route = 8-11 hours
Total word count and playtime for 100% completion (taking into account that the common route will probably not be read in its entirety after the first playthrough) = 620k-830k words = 44-59 hours

Next meeting is Sunday, January 24!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Meeting #31

Not a ton of things to mention. Due to our current working pace, our demo deadline will be getting pushed back to sometime in the summer. My current projection would be somewhere between late June to early August, thus giving us enough time to finish editing, rewriting, and art assets.

Aleah is no longer working as a background finisher, and so our priorities now lie with character art. Megan is still sort of around, but our deal from the beginning was that she would only help out when she can, as this isn't a paid position. Unless we can find someone to do BG art, Ed has volunteered to do some editing on my reference photos so that we can at least have some different times of day.

And, as I've mentioned a few times in these recaps, now is probably the best time to start plotting out your heroine's route for Part Two. As time goes on, we'll be discussing these things more and more, so it's best to start as early as possible.

Next meeting is Sunday, February 7!
12