General Discussions

12

General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I realized it would be 23489234759834765772083402341 times easier to use a regular forum than weebly (ugh, weebly is terrible as a planning site), so welcome to our new site!. Also smilies

It should've said on the main page but any time a large block of text is in all italics, it's because I've just imported it over from the old site to this one.
Ben/Genga:
Just kind of realized that we didn't really have a space to actually talk as a collective group. Anyway, this is where pretty much any and everything can get discussed if you want to keep your actual page uncluttered with suggestions and whatnot. First things first, we should probably think of a title for the VN and figure out some of the more important characters names (specifically the protagonist, the girls, and the friends). Droory and I sort of had a chance to figure out the setting but if you have anything to add, share it please!

Setting: Turena (anagram of nature). A town surrounded by nature in a non-specified location on Earth. It is relatively close to the ocean, but not enough that it could be considered a seaside/oceanside town.

Since the location is non-specified, people's names don't have to be of any sort of ethnicity (English, French, German, Japanese, etc.). If you want to push for a name, go for it (even better if that name has some kind of meaning behind it!).

Droory:
So I had a thought on certain looks for the mermaid and snake/insect/tree girls.
It pretty much stemmed from the exclusion of breasts to be honest, because as amphibians/reptiles/insects/trees they wouldn't have ever needed mammary glands so developing breasts after touching the meteor would be weird right?

I mean, I suppose we could have the mermaid with em because a sailor wished for them to be real and it wasn't a fish that turned into one. I was thinking we could give her more fish-like qualities like webbed fingers and stuff and was gonna find a reference image, but then figured using Princess Ruto from LoZ would be a good character to compare. You know, skin somewhat scaly but still sleek, light blue tinge to an otherwise "normal" skintone, gills, a flatter kind of nose, you get my gist.

But like, the snake/tree/insect would have no reason to develop breasts through their transformation, right? It would be fairly weird in all fairness.

Ben/Genga:
I didn't really think about breast sizes but now that you've mentioned them, I think it would be just as odd to completely exclude them as it would to have giant knockers on them. I get what you're saying from a scientific perspective, but thinking about the fact that they are all humanesque girls, it would seem kind of odd if the mermaid and fox were the only ones with something and the other three were all super flat. When I picture what the characters look like in my head though, I don't imagine anything over a C cup.

I like the webbed fingers idea (not to the point of being fin-like but more of a translucent webbing), but some of the other things I'm kind of iffy about. In a general sense, the tree girl is the only one that already looks exactly like a human, meaning that she won't actually change appearance when she becomes one (except maybe her hair but that's a minor point). The snake in contrast looks the least human: most of her body except her face is scaly, her eyes are snake-like, she has a reptilian tail, etc.. I want to avoid giving scales to the mermaid mostly because it's a rather distinctive quality of the snake, showing that her wish in the past got all screwed up. The blue tinge I'm not opposed to as long as it isn't too much (considering her hair and eyes are already blue). Gills and a flatter nose are more up to the artist's discretion I think.

If I had to give bust sizes, I'd say Snake is AA, Insect is A, Tree is B, Fox is B, Mermaid is B or C. This isn't a fanservice-y game, but it also isn't riddled with scientific explanations (they're touching magical meteorites to grant the wish of becoming humans). Sizes could even change after they become human, but we need our artist to be okay with drawing up more than one body type (though that's kind of a requirement since almost everyone's look is going to change).

Droory:
Yeah, I figured with the whole magic thing we would have /some/ explanation for it. Ah well, just my two cents. Oh and I do literally imagine Snake girl to look like a cuter/hotter version of Voldemort facially.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Forgot to add the checklist. Done means that we've finished the main body, Set means we've decided on details and are going to stick with what's there.

Top priority

Character bios: In progress [X] – Done [X] – Set []
Story structure: In progress [X] – Done [] – Set []
Basic route details: In progress [X] – Done [] – Set []
Backstories: In progress [X] – Done [X] – Set []
Part One scenario: In progress [X] – Done [X] – Set []
Part One draft: In progress [X] – Done [] – Set []
Find artists: 1 [X] – 2 [X] – 3 [X] – 4+ []

Lesser priority

Write Part Two: In progress [] – 1-2 routes done [] – 3-4 routes done [] – 5 routes done [] – Set []

Creations sent me a link to an artist friend of hers. His public domain is here, so let me know what you guys think. Personally, I think he'd be great as a line artist, but I think I'd like someone else to do the CG colouring, since the style I imagined is more like the kind you see in traditional VNs (see Katawa Shoujo, Autumn's Journey, Clannad, Fruit of Grisaia, etc.).

Also, this is more specifically directed at Creations, do you have any idea how that colorslive site works? I was looking at another artist's work on there, Soul Hope, and her style looks really, really close to how I was picturing the characters in my head. If anyone can find a way to contact her (or find someone somewhere else that has a similar style), that'd be awesome!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm uploading the sketches I did of some of the characters (and this is also why we're looking for artists as opposed to having me do them ). I'll probably upload in batches of three as I sketch them out but have a look and if you're feeling ambitious, you can try sketching some yourself. These are just going to be used to show artists the basic idea behind what we're looking for anyway.

None of the images are at full size but you can click on their name if you want to see it full size. I've also made a link to the album with all the sketches I've done so far.

Yuuji Nakamura

Yuuji Nakamura
Notes: "Blazer and tie" – "Summer Uniform (Pocket needs emblem)"
Yuuji is the only sketch that turned out pretty much the way I pictured him in my head.

Syrene

Syrene
Notes: "Hair should be thinner" – "Needs a unique star or shell barrette" – "Scale design"
Probably the least close to what I pictured of these three. I was thinking she'd look kind of like a mix between a younger Syrene (unintentional same name) from Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and Atalanta from Golden Sun, but I obviously couldn't manage to figure that out with my own sketching. Also, my bad on making her head oversized; it's anime style, heads can be big

Luci

Luci
Notes: "Eyes need to be beadier" – "Bow" – "Wings will have designs" – "Dress needs more detail"
Her dress should also be black. I was really, really loosely trying to base her design off of Kuroyukihime from Accel World. For some reason this picture scanned at a smaller size than the others.

So, yeah, I'm not an artist, which is why we're trying to find some, but these are kind of like skeletons of what I'd like the final product to resemble. If you're really against these designs, let me know and/or sketch out what you had in mind and upload it!
...Ugh, I also didn't think you'd be able to see the eraser lines when I scanned these, but they're pretty visible... OTL

Update Dec. 9: Here's batch 2

Rena

Rena
Notes: "Hair should be a bit wavier"
I'm actually really happy with how this one turned out, which is probably why there's only one note on it.

Ashe

Ashe
Notes: "Hair partially covers eye" – "Eyes are a bit sleepy" – "Only girl able to read fluently" – "Milky brown robe w/ minimal or no design"
Her eyes are a bit bigger than I'd intended and I'm also not sure why I included the book and point about reading when this is just for character design. Oh well.

Mara

Mara
Notes: "Hair is violet w/ black highlights/streaks" – "Face should be more feminine (Eyes more snakelike, Scales fade around chin area)" – "Skin has scales everywhere but face" – "Clothes subject to change (Possibly hoodie w/ hood up or beanie, Top should be baggier)" – "Overall, body should be slimmer" – "Tail size can be different"
Ugh, I got lazy with this last one. Her eyes came out the way I wanted (though her left eye is missing the shine), but everything else I kind of rushed on because I just wanted to get all the main girls sketched out. Anyway, the notes more or less cover all the things that should be done with her design.

Mara v2

Mara [v2]
Finally got around to redrawing her. Still not exactly what I want her to look like, but this is closer than the first version. I'm not really sure how to make the eyes any more snakelike, so we're gonna have to leave that up to the artist. The thing on her head is a beanie, by the way; I originally drew her with her hood up, but couldn't get it to look normal. Oh, and the hoodie is supposed to be really baggy, so she doesn't actually have a really long torso, though it would be fitting for a snake if she did.

I won't draw anything up for the protag and his family until we figure out some more on the protag's design.

Update Dec. 27: Batch 3

Ami D'Amour

Ami D'Amour
Notes: "Summer Uniform (Uniform design not set)"
I just drew her in a sailor uniform because it's fairly generic.

Shida Goodwin

Shida Goodwin
Notes: "Wears cat-eye sunglasses (Sunglasses-to-eye-size ratio should be more equal)" – "Lab coat"
More or less how I pictured her to look. She's only a supporting character anyway.

Mr. U (Louis Undra-Wiser)

Notes: "Supposed to be attractive (lol)" – "Hair shorter than protagonist's" – "Eyes not too bright when open" – "Ring b/c he's married" – "Maybe make body more muscular" – "Schlumpy business-casual clothes"
I didn't rush with his design, but I definitely didn't put in too much effort. The basic concepts are all there in the notes and essentially he's an easygoing teacher that comes off as lazy. He's kind of thin here, especially since he's potentially an athletic coach, so he should probably be bulked up at least somewhat.

Mr. U v2

Louis Undra-Wiser v2
Redrew him and took some more time on it. I think what we decided on was using the physique and hair of this one but the face and I guess personality of the original (specifically going for the closed-eye look (so I suppose his eyes could still look like this when they're open...)). Also, yes, that is an earring on his ear.

Only characters left to sketch out are the protagonist and his family! Not sure when that'll be done, but probably after the first meeting so that we've had a chance to discuss more about them.

Re: General Discussions

LuxraysGoneAwry
I've only used the site (colorslive) a handful of times myself but I don't think there's any way to really contact the artists other than through the comment section. It's just a picture hosting site, really. I can take a look at it again later tonight but no promises!

My best friend IRL is a really really good artist but I don't think she could do the character design, more like backgrounds and stuff. And even then she's not really into this stuff anyway (she's more of a -real- artist) so she might not be up to it, buuuut I'll run it past her anyway.

Here's another picture from my other friend, too. I'm not into how he draws mouths, but he's really gotten better at eyes. http://i.imgur.com/8EZlxD2.jpg Up to y'all, though.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Ah, that's what I thought but I was hoping there might be an actual messaging system if you had an account. No biggie.

Doesn't hurt to ask. Even if she's not up for it, I don't think we've completely figured out what sort of things we'll need in terms of art yet, so we're okay for now.

Oh, whoa, that's some pretty good line art actually. The clothes look a little rigid, but I think that's something that a colourer could fix with some shading. Hmm, let's keep him in mind and hear what the others have to say.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Hey, as of today I'm out of school until early January so I was thinking that we should figure out sometime to have our first official meeting. I know not everyone on the team has shown up yet and that you might still have school for a bit, but most of us writers are here so we should be able to discuss a few things. In particular, I'd like to figure out details for part one (as it'll be a fairly collaborative process) and then get an idea of where we'd all like to head with our respective routes (as well as who would like to take on each route). Also, I no longer have a preference of which route I'd like to take, so all those notes I had for Syrene's route can now be looked at as old suggestions.

Anyway, first things first, let's pick a date when everyone can meet! Also keep in mind that Droory and I are eight hours apart from each other. I'm assuming everyone else is somewhere in between and much closer to me than him, so mornings and afternoons over here in North America probably work best.

Re: General Discussions

LuxraysGoneAwry
Ugh, how can you just regularly reply to a thread? I'm struggling D:

Anyway, absolutely any day works for me except this Saturday and next Saturday (late Thanksgiving party and then babysitting), so get at me whenever and however. I generally live on the internet.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
So, as of a few hours ago, our first meeting ended and we actually managed to get some stuff figured out! Yay, progress! In case you guys forgot or weren't there, here's basically what we covered.

1) Our protagonist now has a name! He is Leonardo "Leo" Hearst. Leo comes from the astrological sign and his name refers to the importance of astral/cosmic happenings in the story. His character is similar to how Roxas is portrayed in the AU Kingdom Hearts fandom (sorry, only Kin and I know what that means, but there isn't really a Golden Sun comparison for him). More info on him in the Characters thread.

2) The program we will be using to code everything is called Ren'Py. Though you don't have to, I recommend downloading it and trying the tutorial (and mini VN that comes with it) so you can get a feel for how VNs work. In terms of writing the script, their is a certain protocol for going about it, and you can see a simplified version of that in the Programming and Script Guidelines thread. You can go ahead and try scripting a little thing yourself, or if you have questions, ask Droory before coming to me, as he'll know more about the coding side of things than I will.

3) This goes sort of hand in hand with the point above; the narrative is in first person, present tense from Leo's point of view. During Part One, before he winds up on a specific route, his personality is rather plain and he has a sarcastic sense of humour that isn't obnoxious. The fastest way would be to show you rather than try to compare, so here's a very early intro that I scrapped together for Droory way back when we were in the conception stages. It won't let me upload the actual game file, so this is just the raw script. It might get a little hard to read when the choices get bigger, but this is more or less how the story has to get written when there are important sections involved.

4) As you may have already noticed, there is a new thread called Online Writing Resources. This is how we'll be writing Part One, as it requires all of our input due to the fact that Leo has interactions with all of the girls here. We can edit documents at the same time in realtime, so I've also made a pad for each route, though if you prefer to do all your work in a regular word editing document, that's fine too. Now, when I was choosing a site that hosted these editing pads, I chose one that didn't say it deletes anything, but as a safety precaution, copy and paste everything into a word document when you are finished writing just in case something happens to the online copy.

5) Routes have been assigned! I'll be updating a few threads so that it says who's writing what, but just to be clear I'll list it here as well. The bracketed sections list characters they are similar to in case you needed some more reference (how the fandoms generally portray them as opposed to how they are in the source material). How you shape them to be their own characters beyond that is entirely up to you.
Kin: Syrene (Naminé from Kingdom Hearts; Mia from Golden Sun)
Genga: Rena (Sora from Kingdom Hearts; a playful cross between Ivan and Sheba from Golden Sun)
Droory: Ashe (Sleepy Piers from Golden Sun)
Luxray: Luci (Jumpy, less naïve Nagisa from Clannad)
Tem: Mara (Yukiatsu from Anohana; Any mean tsundere that doesn't fall under the typical high school romcom archetype)
Sorry if the references I gave are something you don't really get. I tried to at least use something the main writer for that girl would know, but I was having trouble coming up with specific examples.

6) Our meeting schedule as I write this has been decided as Fridays at 1pm PST every two weeks starting January 16th! For Kin and Tem that's 3pm! For Luxray that's 4pm! For Droory that's 9pm! I'll post this in the Members and Meetings thread.

Anyway, thanks for taking the first step and helping me make this into a real thing! Hopefully the creation process goes smoothly and we can have the first finished version ready within 3 years (because we're all busy).

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Doubt anyone will see this before the meeting, but this is just to prep for it. If the link doesn't work, I can try emailing the file to everybody.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwhDNSyaY_M0UVppSDBkc2FjanM/view?usp=sharing

Anyway, this is the test intro that Droory and I put together back in October-November (I think it was around then...). I added in the names and music, and fixed a few lines, but for the most part it's the same as it was before. Like I'll say in the meeting, this was just a really basic intro with a quickly thought-up method of getting to each girl's route.

And here's a flowchart in case you want to know how I plotted it out.
Test Intro Flowchart

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Since our Feb. 13th meeting was pretty much a bust, I'm going to post the little bit Jenny and I went over and hope that you guys see this (I sent everyone a PM, so you should have). I know everyone's busy and that other things will often take priority, but it'd be really helpful if you guys could make most of the meetings or at least let me know if you can't so we can reschedule or I can change some of the meeting repertoire to accommodate your absence and then fill you in later.

If you haven't already, please download the file in the post above and play through it a little. This is only a test demo, and we'll likely be changing how part one actually progresses, but it will give you an idea of how the game will be set up. The flowchart is a visual representation of the code; building flowcharts is a huge help when it comes to plotting out your route and also makes it so that Droory doesn't get a migraine trying to figure out what your pseudocode means.

For the next meeting (Feb. 27), I actually want to get this project going, so what I need is for everyone to write a little interaction snippet between Leo and the girl you're writing for so that we can get a feel for how the character is going to be. The focus here isn't on Leo so much as it is on the girl, so make sure that Leo isn't stealing the spotlight. This text file is the snippet I wrote for Rena, and you'll see that it's just a short conversation that gives an idea to her bubbly, curious character. It's also written in the way that the scripting will have to be done, so take note if you missed the meeting about how scripting works (also check out the Programming and Script Guidelines thread and the Miscellaneous Stuff link to get a better feel for it).
And don't worry about the side/supporting characters, as I'll have something for all of them completed by next meeting as well. Just focus on whoever your girl is and sort of Leo.

This is the basic structure of the story in case my explanations so far have been unclear. Part one is really the only part where we'll have to collaborate, but after that you're free to write the rest of the story on your own. If you have any questions about this, post a reply or message me on Skype.
I'd like everyone to think about how you want part one to flow into your individual part twos for next time. What I mean by that is:
a) How do you want Leo to meet the girl in part one?
b) Will they actually interact directly with each other? (Luci and Syrene don't in the demo)
c) What sort of relationship will they have at the start of part two?
Until we know at least these three things, we can't really start writing much of anything for part one. Think of it this way, the faster we get part one completed the faster you can take the story into your own hands. This is what I meant when I said that part one was going to be the most difficult hurdle to get over (and is also the reason we aren't doing an open-route system). Also remember that the demo is just a test and doesn't necessarily represent how we'll plot out the actual part one. Feel free to come up with however you want him to meet the girls and we'll sort out the logistics of it later.

Also on that note, I'll need at least one person to volunteer to help write part one with me. Everyone is going to have some part in writing (mainly for the girls' dialogue) and directing towards their route, but I need someone else to help me write it out. Jenny did mention that she would be up for it, and two of us should be fine, but I'm perfectly fine with having a third person contribute. Four might be too many for one section, so if you want to help set the base writing style for the rest of the story, let me know!

I think that's everything I needed to mention. If you have any questions, leave a reply or send me a message!

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
I don't think there's too much to say about the most recent meeting. There are a few little tasks that need doing for next time so come prepared! Also, I'm going to post all the character interaction snippets everyone wrote in the Miscellaneous Stuff pad, so if you need to look back at them, they'll be there.

So, for next meeting, everyone needs to write an interaction snippet for Mara since tem wasn't at the meeting and we'll choose which one we like the most. Assuming tem is still on board with this project, this is only so that we can get an idea for what we'd like to see Mara's personality as and how to sort of write her character.

Also, we're going into specifics of part one now. Really think about exactly how you want Leo and your girl to meet and how that will progress into part two. Again, for now you don't really have to think about the other parts, but keep in mind that rewrites will probably be a necessity when we're trying to balance everyone's ideas into a single section of the story. Another very important and helpful thing to remember is that if you plan on actually writing these parts out before the next meeting, it's probably best just to write the scenes where Leo is with the girl so that we can form the connecting bits collaboratively. We can probably save quite a few rewrites by doing this (though they'll still be impossible to avoid). Oh, and writing is in the present tense, meaning most verbs will end "-s" as opposed to "-ed".

On that note, if you want, you can also build a base flowchart for all of part one if you'd like. I'll probably be doing this; we might not end up using it but it's good to see sort of how everyone wants to connect parts together. It's also a draft base, so there is wiggling room around in it.

We kind of touched on it at the very end of the meeting but part one takes place over the last week or week and a half of school before summer break. Part two is the whole summer break, so about two months, and then part three and beyond is up to your own storytelling. I'll probably write the very, very beginning of part one just to get the ball rolling, and you'll be able to see it in the Part One Link.

Re: General Discussions

LuxraysGoneAwry
Okay so I should probably be sending you a Skype message instead of posting my jumbled thoughts here but I thought it would be helpful(???) if everyone could see this.

...Bear with me, my ideas are always really messy, take all of this with a grain of salt.

How about sometime throughout the story all/most of the girls meet up (dunno how this would work with Syrene in the picture, maybe they go to the beach or something) like how a stereotypical harem would go. They talk about girl things, make fun of Ashe's infinite knowledge, etc. and maybe there's some teasing going on (I could especially see Rena starting it) about who likes who.

Basically I'd love to see the girls just interact together. I know this thing's barely even off the ground right now but the way it's going it seems like they aren't going to be meeting at all, and that just sounds kinda dull to me. Maybe there's a day when the girls go shopping together (again, not sure how this would work with some of them - Luci, Syrene, others with very noticeable... uh, creature-like forms) and at their next meeting (with Leo and one of the girls, or maybe they all called him to one point or something) they're all excited about whatever they bought, and they're so happy they feel like real human beings now, they've never done this before, etc.

Or maybe there's something else entirely that's being planned out, I dunno. I just think it'd be a good idea to put some life into it, otherwise it's just kind of like... you go to this one club to accumulate points with just this one girl and then go down her route and help her with her problems, and then that's it.

Thoughts? (Benga's probably the only one who will reply, if anyone does, lol.)

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Haha, it doesn't really matter where you send the message; I'll end up seeing it regardless. But yes, this is good for everybody else to see, and I've been thinking something similar lately. We can bring it up in the next meeting too (it kind of got brought up in the second or third one but didn't really get anywhere).

I was actually thinking about this in a broader sense: not necessarily having all the girls meet in one place but having an event or events that happen regardless of the route and affect each one in a similar way. I'm pretty sure I did mention including other girls in each individual route (so like how you want to write Ashe into yours) and some of these things can work either as cross-route events or just things that only happen in one route.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to the idea of having them all get together or going into public, but you did already mention some of the bigger issues with trying to get that to work. I guess I haven't really stressed them yet but I can right now.
There isn't a set geography for what Turena looks like, but one thing I sort of pictured in my head was that Ashe and Syrene can't really be in the same place as each other since they can't leave the lake or forest respectively. That same issue would crop up again in the public setting.
Depending on the characters, I could see a public setting working but keep in mind the characters' personalities. Luci, aside from having wings that would be pretty hard to hide, clams up around people that aren't Leo (assuming you're sticking with that idea). Rena has her tail, and even though she's curious about humans, she's really cautious around people that, again, aren't Leo. Mara especially doesn't want to be around people because she tried to interact with them in the past only to get shunned for her extremely inhuman appearance (it's one of the few points of her backstory that's been figured out).

Since we aren't talking about the human arc yet, I feel the need to mention Shida as well. We've been sort of busy just figuring out basic stuff but I've been meaning to remind everybody that there are two pseudo-antagonists in this whole thing, being Shida for the first story arc and Ami for the human arc. Now, depending on how you want to go about writing, Shida may or may not even be in your route all that much, but one of the points about her was that because her field of study changes from route to route she is the scariest person to any of the girls (except for maybe Ashe since she looks exactly like a human already). The basic idea is that if Shida discovers them, research teams get involved, publicity skyrockets, chaos ensues, etc.

I'm being longwinded but hopefully that's a good thing here. I am encouraging having the girls interact with each other. The dynamic between a lot of them can be really interesting, especially when you go into the backstories. For example, Luci and Mara are technically 150ish years old, both having been turned into what they are during the previous meteor shower. They've had a lot of time to get to know each other. Same goes for Ashe, who is more than 300 years old. Syrene and Rena, on the other hand, were born into the world as what they are, meaning that they are as old as they look.
Sort of continuing on this tangent, one of my early conflict ideas was the fact that Luci, Mara, and Ashe would essentially have to give up their immortality if they choose to become human. They wouldn't be able to live long enough to experience the next one if they did, so there wouldn't be a chance to undo it. This of course wouldn't apply to Syrene or Rena since those two have mortal lifespans.

TL;DR: I'm encouraging interaction between girls and am open to ideas for cross-route events. Keep character backstories and personalities in mind, as well as conflicts! Also remember that backstories aren't fully set in stone and that certain elements can be changed!

If you need me to elaborate on anything here or want to know about the characters, skype message me or ask on here! I'm kind of a social recluse and always have my skype status set to invisible, so even if it looks like I'm not online, I see your messages the moment I'm on the computer.

Re: General Discussions

LuxraysGoneAwry
Lol at that Skype/social recluse thing. I did that for about half a year, think I stopped right before you mentioned this whole novel thing, around the time we added each other on Skype.

Anyway, that all sounds good. I definitely think at the next meeting we need to elaborate on just what the backstories and permanent locations in Turena are. It'd be waaaay beneficial (also I just realized I forgot to write Luci's butterfly wings into my snippet, so major derp on my end) to all of us.

I admit I didn't -really- pay attention the first times I played through the test VN you guys made, but after playing it again I like the idea that Mara, Luci, and Syrene are in the same area, as well as Ashe and Rena in the forest. Are we keeping that? If so that could make for some cute, playful back and forth among the girls.

Oh, and does that mean that the forest and lake are pretty close? According the stock images anyway (I know that's not much to go on, lol) that big tree/Ashe and the clearing appeared in both. Wouldn't that mean they all at least know of one another's existence already?

Hmm... I guess I'm just a little confused why the girls have to stay in the same general area. Is it because of their appearances? I get why Syrene can't leave the lake (duh) but is Ashe, like... bound to her tree self? If she wanders too far she might just disappear or something?
-Maybe in the human arc (do they all turn human or just the girl you pick?) they could meet up, then, and talk about how happy they are that they're not mythical creatures anymore and stuff.

So Shida's a researcher, just of the strange happenings in general, then, and when you decide which girl/route you want to pursue she sort of specializes in that? Taking a stab and guessing that Ami's just jealous or something, lol.

Well anyway, whether you wanna answer all this junk here or at the next meeting that's fine by me. I guess we really don't even have to cover this until we're about to write our respective character routes anyway :p

Re: General Discussions

Droory
Woo! Girl interaction! Let's do it! More pumped up shouts and so on!

Yup, we need to figure out geogoraphy too. Maybe do up a map or something. And speaking of girl interactions and stuff, we should probably have more leo/friend interaction than we've had, which is basically nothing. You know days where he'll go out with his friends to a movie or something, or not going out makes em think you don't like em anymore.

I think the thing with Ashe is that she didn't fully "seperate" from her original form when the bit of meteor fell into the forest. (lol literally just thinking psynergy stones and tret/laurel) So like, part of her soul or something is still inside the tree, so going too far from it she starts to feel weaker and weaker. Pretty much can't really get to the edge of the forest without feeling faint.
At least I think that was what we had.

I could see Luci and Rena going from area to area freely in their alt forms. Luci could quite easily visit Leo's home by being butterfly or something from some late night hanky-panky before flying away again the next morning.

But yeah... more planning needed bruhs.

Re: General Discussions

LuxraysGoneAwry
This isn't really related to what we're talking about anymore but with daylight saving time just passing (lots of places just skipped forward an hour) do we have to change the meeting time or anything? Is there anybody here who doesn't do it that we'd have to accommodate for? It's so confusing and I always hate it every single year.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
I just looked it up and apparently Droory is the only one whose time hasn't changed yet. So instead of having all of us show up an hour later, I am volunteering Droory to show up an hour earlier. You can thank Ireland for not having their DST until the end of the month.
Here's an angry smiley face that has nothing to do with this post and doesn't really have any context either.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
Alright, I haven't really been keeping track of the past few meetings but we just recently finished meeting #9.

First things first, meeting dates have been changed from Fridays to Sundays at the same time as usual, meaning the next meeting is on Sunday, May 10th! As always, check the Members and Meetings thread if you aren't sure what time to show up at. This might change after the summer, depending on everyone's schedules, but at least for the next four months this is when we'll be meeting.

We talked a bit about the effects of club choices and how it'll differ from the test intro (at this point I'm assuming everyone's played through it a couple times and has the basic idea for how it works). Club choices are no longer determinate of which routes you can end up on, meaning that you can choose any club and still end up on any of the girl's routes; however, picking a certain club may make it easier to get onto a certain girl's route.
What clubs do now is provide event scenes for later on, once you've already ended up on a route. Depending on which girl's route the player has ended up on, the club chosen may result in an extra scene being shown. What we've tentatively decided for the event scenes and route are as follows:
Ashe: Track and Film/Photo
Rena: Track and Swimming
Luci: Choir and Film/Photo
Syrene: Choir and Swimming
Mara: Going Home Club

If, say, the player were to choose the Swim Team but wanted to end up on Ashe's route, this would still be attainable, but there would be no event scene for it in Part Two. As an example (since we haven't decided what these events will be yet), the Swim Team event could be a swim meet, but because Ashe can't leave the forest, she would not be able to attend or help him train. More fittingly, Rena and Syrene would be able to help him train (Rena could potentially watch the meet in her fox form or something as well), so the extra scene(s) would be training and watching the meet.
Mara is special in that she is the only one who triggers something by choosing the Going Home Club. Though it wasn't discussed in the meeting (I'll bring it up in the next one), since we want Mara to be the hardest route to get on, I was thinking that choosing one of the other clubs (maybe Film/Photo) would make it easiest to get onto her route, but since the Going Home Club is the only way to get her event scene, players would have to figure out another way to build up "Mara points" (see the test intro flowchart if you don't know what I mean by "Mara points").
What all this means is that you'll have to keep in mind all the possibilities of club choices as you're writing the script. Some conversations or monologues may need several versions based on the club, and some entire scenes (such as going to practice) will change the entire aesthetic of what's going on. I highly suggest that you download Ren'Py (the program we are using to build the game) and go through the tutorial if you are worried about some of the scripting things. Droory and I may be able to figure out what you want if you write in instructions, but the fastest way for the coding process to go would be for you to do what you can to learn at least the things you think you'll need to know. If you don't have time to go through the whole Ren'Py tutorial, you can also check out the test intro script to see certain things being put into use (ex. lines that can only be said if a certain event has happened). You can also check out the Part One script, as it will be getting added onto more as time progresses. Though the actual coding bits at the time I'm posting this are rather scarce, you will eventually be able to see a number of things being put into play.
And, in case anyone needs a reminder (*cough* *cough* Jenny *cough* *cough*), the Going Home Club is just a play on words meaning that Leo (and Yuuji by default) are not in clubs, and that their "club" activity is going home. Because it has the least activity later on (the others all have some kind of sports meet or showcase thing), this could be one of the choices that most easily leads to a bad/neutral end in Part One (meaning the player does not end up on any route and does not advance to Part Two)

I'll try and summarize some of the more important things we went over the past few meetings but bear in mind that my memory of them isn't stellar, nor do I feel like going through the insanity that those meetings were to pick out the important stuff (jk I just did, it took me two hours, and there was nothing there that I didn't remember already...).
1) Jenny has been promoted to co-director for Part One. Basically she and I will be writing all of the in-between segments and anytime when Leo isn't interacting with one of the five main girls (except for Syrene, since kin is sticking with the idea of not having them actually meet until the very end of part one). We'll also be piecing together part one into a flowchart, so the more details you tell us about how Leo and your girl meet, the easier we can figure things out.
2) Going off of point 1 there, since Syrene and Leo won't meet until it's pretty much assured that he will end up on her route, she will have to be introduced in some way if you plan on including her in your route (meaning that she has to be introduced in Part Two in some way).

That seems to be it, but as always, shoot me a message or reply to this thread if you have any questions. One last thing, though it's completely optional, I'd recommend you guys subscribe to the whole forum and click the "Daily Digest" option when prompted how you'd like to receive emails. Basically, if anyone posts something, you'll get an email around midnight that tells you something has been posted (unless you'd rather get an individual email each time someone posts (which could get hectic when we eventually get artists and beta-readers onboard)). Normally I wouldn't bother telling you to do so, but since posts are pretty rare (typically me updating after meetings or posting music for now), it's not going to flood your inbox with things you don't care about. If you want to subscribe, click the options button on the home screen and click "Your Subscription" (it might say something else like "subscribe" but since I already am that's what shows up for me). Again, it's optional (if I really wanted to, I could use my admin powers to force a subscription onto everyone, but I'll abstain), so if you don't want the emails, then it's not a problem.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Meeting #10

Jenjen was late as usual, so droofy and I did most of the discussing. A lot of it was code-related but we did end up covering a few things that we'll all need to know.

This is the file that details everything we've figured out for Part One so far. It's probably a little tricky to read but that's what the flowchart is there to help you do.
This file shows how points are being calculated. Again, it probably won't make much sense on its own, so have it open while you go through the flowchart so that you can make sense of what's going on.
This is the mostly finished flowchart for part one. As you'll see while you scroll down, there are a bunch of parts that are really generic or just say something like "Details undecided" because we haven't specified what's going to happen during these parts. Ideally I'd like to figure out as much as we can soon so that we don't have to worry about it when we get to it, but for now just take some time to think about your parts.

Probably the most important thing we went over was how some of the writing process is going to work (we'll go over it again more in-depth next meeting). Our original plan was just to have everyone write the scenes that their girl is in and go with that, but the problem that arises is that a lot of scenes feature one of the girls talking about another, specifically Luci with Syrene. Syrene doesn't actually appear before Leo until the end of Part One, assuming that the player is heading down her route, so all of her scenes prior to that are either Leo by himself or conversations with Luci or Mara. Similarly, Ashe does some talking about Rena and Mara, and that would end up leaving a lot of writing to Jen and Droory.
We don't have a set solution for now, but the plan is to collaborate on these scenes so that details can make sense and writing styles are kept consistent (it's alright if they change in Part Two, since one would assume that Leo's personality differs slightly from route to route). Ideally, one person will write the scene and the other will heavily direct exactly what they want to happen, or one person writes the first draft and they continue to edit back and forth until a mutually accepted scene is created. It's a slow process either way, but necessary if we want things to be done right.

I'm hyperlinking our names on the Members and Meetings thread to go to our FF profiles, that way we can get in contact with each other when we're not on skype or something. At the moment, this is mostly to get in contact with Kin since she's usually not on skype, but things happen and some weird circumstance might require us to start contacting each other on there.

Anyway, for next meeting, figure out the details of anything that says "details undecided" or just any generic spots where it pertains to your girl. I'm hoping to find some time before next meeting to continue adding onto the script, but things are pretty busy right now and I can't promise anything. As always, message me or reply on this thread if you have any questions.

Re: General Discussions

GengaJupite
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Meeting #11

Jenjen's manfriend is now officially known as "the steve" in all lowercase letters. Other than providing that mild bit of entertainment, jenjen did not really do much at this meeting. We all blame the steve.

Now that we all have each other on Facebook and Skype, messaging should be easy, and sending files back and forth when writing collaborative parts will be quicker, though the actual process of writing will probably still take just as long. Most of the time, collaborations for Part One will be between jenjen and kin or droory and me, but there are a few other times when i'll have to collaborate with jenjen and kin (because I'm writing Mara's parts too).

Kin is going to write the final Part One scene between Leo and Syrene, since this is the first time the two both see each other and interact. For now, the rest of us probably can't jump right to writing the final scene because there's too much stuff for us to figure out prior to that. Droory and I figured out most of Ashe's details, jenjen and I still have to figure out our own details and a bunch of the in-between stuff.

Sometime before the next meeting, I'm going to try and put together a bunch of what I'm calling "consideration lists." I'll upload the most updated version of the Part One Scenario once I've figured out eveyone's details, and what these consideration lists will do are show what sorts of things you have to consider while writing out a scene between Leo and your girl. For example, one of the big things in the test intro for Syrene was that she saves him from drowning; however, this scene doesn't necessarily need to take place for the player to end up on Syrene's route. Obviously this would be a big thing to mention when the two of them eventually come face-to-face with each other, but there has to be an if statement that alters the conversation if it didn't occur. I'll upload all those lists onto this post once I've finished them, but if you're having trouble writing multiple conversation possibilities, message me and I'll explain how it works. Droory will also know since it's mainly a coding thing.

Once everything's uploaded and whatnot, I'll message everyone so they can download and hopefully start writing. You guys know what to do with any questions.

Here are the most updated files and consideration lists I have finished:
Part One Scenario
Part One Flowchart (On Day Eight, Mara's red part should read "≥2" instead of "=2")
Ashe Consideration List
Luci Consideration List
Syrene Consideration List
Rena Consideration List